Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Jen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

The first lesson I learned when doing any kind of vehicle maintenance was the necessity of Beer. Mind you, I’ve never really done any kind of vehicle maintenance so I was a bit skeptical about pouring myself a tall cold one before working on a machine with a lot of moving parts I had no knowledge of. I also never turn down a beer.

Beer poured.

In anticipation of the possibility that we may do a gunshot trip to Sturgis for the weekend we quickly gathered up the oil, filter and tools needed to change the oil in my bike since it was really long over due. I opened my big bike manual to the section on how to change the oil.

1.Level the bike – plywood – Check.
2.Remove dipstick thingy – Check
3.Find oil plug on underside of crankcase? – oook, Check
4.Don’t forget to put oil pan under before removing – check
5.Carefully unscrew plug and remove without letting it oil all over you – ooook
6.Let Drain
7.Refill beer.
8.Remove Oil Filter
9.Find right tool to remove oil filter since tool in hand does not seem to fit.
10.Stare at filter and tools and wonder WTF?
11.Shrug off the need to change the filter, promise to change when I get back from Sturgis.
12.Learning from observing others change their oil, feel proud to remember to put oil plug back on securely before the next step.
13.Carefully begin to pour the oil in the crankcase? struggling with a very awkward position due to airbox cover.
14.Remove airbox cover to make oil pouring much easier.
15.Panic when fuel and oil spill out when airbox cover is removed.
16.Stare at the mess and wonder WTF?
17.Smell my hands and wonder how guys can stomach this on a daily basis.
18.Realize Sturgis is not going to happen.
19.Refill Beer a couple more times understanding why this was the first and most valuable lesson.


We ended up getting everything fixed up the following day and going out for a great evening ride. Before the weekend was over we put in a good 160 miles through the mountains and in town. It was disappointing that Sturgis didn’t happen but at least we had beer.

3 Comments:

Blogger *~kAy~* said...

Hi Jen!
nice post :)
I had never changed the oil on my motorcycle before :P
after watching tons of youtube videos on how to do that, it wasn't so bad :)

thanks so much for stopping by my blog! :)
I'm always eager to meet new biker buddies! :P

August 18, 2009 at 2:50 PM  
Blogger J Leona said...

I can't believe how much it is to change the oil on a bike when you take it in! That was my motivation to learn. Plus it makes me feel like Supa Woman!

August 19, 2009 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Daughter of Night said...

Changing your own oil, tires, and filters is a HUGE money saver - and not difficult to do!

Good for you for getting dirty and gittin' er done!

And beer DOES make it so much easier. :-)

November 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home