Monday, January 26, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I met with a Real Estate agent over the weekend to discuss my options for selling my house. It’s looking glum to sale now, but at least I have some direction on how to achieve the goal of making my house marketable.

Among some of the big things I have to do, replace the carpet, repair the roof, paint the trim, I also have to decorate and make my house look welcoming. I get this. I haven’t done much since my divorce because I have felt I would not be here long. Everything is temporary when given enough time, right? Perhaps I’m a little jaded as this has been my life. I don’t say this in a woe is me kind of way, just a realistic point of view based on my experiences. Decorating for a temporary circumstance leaves much else to be desired.

This is not my rant.

I’m somewhat excited to decorate now. Now that I have resigned to the fact that I will be here for another year or so I want to embrace this opportunity to make my house a home. The thing that bothers me is the statement I heard over and over from the agent. “Make it look neutral.” She was not implying that the color or style be neutral. No. She was telling me that I need decorate in a way such that it appears my house portrays a lifestyle that is so not of my own.

I need to paint a picture of a happy family living in this cozy house. That the young roommate I have living in the basement is an older son going to college. Take down those Audrey Hepburn pictures that adorn the walls and the beads and yarn that occupy my room because what husband would agree to a love nest master bedroom full of Audrey and crafty shit?

I’m not upset with my agent for making these suggestions. She knows what sells. She is a very good agent. I’m a bit pissed off that I have to portray this other lifestyle because my current lifestyle is not sufficient enough to sale my fucking house? I’m a single female with a successful career and a lot of funky ass style. I’m divorced and have the freedom to WTF I want. So, now to sell my house I need to pretend to be married and decorate the way I feel a man would see fit.

Ah hem, I don’t think so. This is MY home biatch.

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Fuck that bitch.

The wannabe buyers better know the badassery the house expects from its occupants.

You've been putting in some good writing.

February 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home