Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Pizza, Beer and Rocks

Friday I took the day off and spent it with my guy frolicking around in Golden, Colorado. Days like this remind me of the awesome state I live in.

We started the day with an authentic Mexican breakfast at a new restaurant in my town. It was good stuff. I plan on visiting this restaurant frequently. Not only to support my weakness for Mexican food, but also to support his business. Where I live it is very suburban and very white. I have seen really good ethnic restaurants come and go due to this factor. It’s a shame.

Next we headed up to Golden, Colorado, our first stop was the Geology Museum at the School of Mines. We spent a good amount of time there coveting the earth’s treasures and fantasizing about trips we can take to acquire our own pretty rocks. I really got into rock hounding this past summer. I had always been interested but did not realize how accessible this hobby is. Colorado is a very mineral rich state and I have barely scratched the surface with places to explore. I have two very large containers full of rocks I collected this past summer and rocks in my house and at work. I am still finding rocks in jackets I have worn out rock hounding and in my car. People look at me funny because I will pick through the gravel at work in search of a hidden treasure. I will also be the proud new member of a local Rock Hounding group this Friday and will in the near future own a rock tumbler. Yes, I am a nerd.

We were going to go hiking and collect, you guessed it, rocks but the winds where pretty harsh and we did not want to deal with the mud and blowing snow. So that left us with no choice but to explore the Coors Brewery. The tour was awesome. We got to see how beer is made, bottled and shipped out. The smell was amazing! The best part of the tour was the 3 free beers you get at the end of the tour. Right on!



Our last stop was Woody’s Woodfired Pizza. Talk about good eaten! They have an all you can eat special for their salad bar, awesome pizza and fantastic Beer Cheese Soup. We also got there during happy hour, score!

To sum up our day; Mexican Breakfast – $13.00 Geology Museum –$ 0.00, Coors Tour – $0.00 Dinner at Woody’s $20.00. Move over Rachel Ray and let the geeks show you how to really have fun under $40.00

2 Comments:

Blogger m•riah said...

what an awesome time!!

January 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger J Leona said...

It was awesome. Just one of those days that didn't cost a lot but will be worth so much in memories. :)

January 31, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home