Friday, December 21, 2007

Ms Bitch Grinch

What was once a time dedicated to family, friends and peace on earth has now become a time of chaos, stress and many unhappy people.
It’s interesting because even my family will express the stress and amount of money that we all invest into Christmas for one another, however each year there is no desire to change. To me the best Christmas gift from someone would be not to exchange Christmas gifts at all. Personally, Christmas is not the opportunity for me to think of all the things I want but have not acquired and add them to a wish list for someone else to spend time and money on.

Now, I’m not that much of scrooge. I understand the great feeling you have when giving gifts to people you love. You want to see them happy and excited and it feels good when you are giving them happiness. Unfortunately this happiness is produced from inanimate objects imported from third world countries marked up at least 10 times and shoved down our throats by society telling us that these are things that we want because it’s cool. Shopping for these things to give to folks I love leaves a lot to be desired. It just makes me grumpy and judging by the look on everyone else’s face at the mall it seems I’m not alone. This season is not about peace, it’s about cutting someone off so you can get that parking spot and waiting in endless lines in highly perfumed department stores so you can walk out sick and with a pounding headache. This in turn pretty much dissipates any driving etiquette you may have had left after dealing with Holiday traffic because now you just want to get home as quickly as possible regardless of how rude and inconsiderate you have to be. It just sucks.

I would have to say the best Christmas I have had are the ones that I make gifts. I am blessed to have a passion to create. Hand crafted gifts are much more personal to me. I know when I am creating a gift I’m in a good place and I’m thinking of that person from a good place. I’m not already 5 minutes in a line with probably 5 more minutes to go thinking of all the other lines I need to stand in next. I’m at home enjoying my children as we create things together, drinking a nice cup of tea with old fashion Christmas music playing gingerly in the background. Ok, maybe it’s not that serene, I have teenagers and they do get on my nerves, but I wouldn’t trade it for the mall and traffic.

The thing about hand crafted gifts is you need to think ahead and be prepared in which this year I was not. So, I armed myself with my best Bitch Grinch expression and headed out to the War of Retail.

3 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

"I’m at home enjoying my children as we create things together, drinking a nice cup of tea with old fashion Christmas music playing gingerly in the background."

That's crazy, I thought you spent it screaming at the dogs, cussing at your computer, and shooting bourbon. Must have been someone else. Maybe me.

December 21, 2007 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Bryan said...

Amen on the issue of gifting. You know, the German word Gift means poison...that's never lost on me when I use the English word. I guess I'm still working on my alternate solution to this stuff though.

December 22, 2007 at 1:46 AM  
Blogger J Leona said...

Casey: It is you. I'm the one drinking the good 'ol box wine cuz it's cheap and I spent all my earnins on Christmas this year. That's just how it goes. ;0)

Bryan: Thanks. It was a tough year for me so I didn't get to make anything. It did remind me the value of why I prefer to make gifts for folks rather than go out and buy things so it wasn't a total lost cause. I'm already crafting up ideas for next Christmas.

December 22, 2007 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home